And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.—Matthew 4:25
Perhaps the greatest repeated trait in the life of Jesus, outside of teaching, was His leadership. No man has ever impacted the world like Jesus—and in just three and a half short years! What is a leader?
A leader is one who goes first. It’s one who creates a desire in the hearts of others to follow him. Everywhere Jesus went, crowds followed Him—thousands at a time! Buildings filled when they knew He was there. Children wanted to be around Him! Grown men left their occupations to follow Him.
Someone said, “A leader is someone who sees first, most, and farthest.” He always gets less of the credit when things go well and more of the blame when things don’t go well.
Jesus preached, taught, and healed the multitudes. They were astonished at His doctrine. Jesus did not try to lead, yet multitudes followed Him.
Here are five reasons people followed Jesus:
1. Jesus knew something they didn’t know. When people heard Him teach, they wanted to know more. Live in the Bible! Let it be fresh! Keep living the truths!
2. Jesus had something they wanted to have. Jesus knew how to pray—people wanted a prayer life. Jesus knew how to be joyful—people wanted joy. Jesus was content—people wanted contentment.
3. Jesus did something they wanted to do. People are watching our lives to see if we can do something they would like to do.
4. Jesus knew Somebody they wanted to know. No one had a walk with the Father like Jesus did! Find someone who walks with God and you’ll find a leader.
5. Jesus was going somewhere they wanted to go. He had a direction. He was not a tumbleweed blown about with every wind of doctrine. People follow someone who can lead them to where they want to go.
Our nation and homes are dying for lack of leadership! Are you leading?