Each week as we celebrate the anniversaries of couples in our church, I am reminded once again about the wonder of marriage which God has created. All the way back in the Garden of Eden, God set up marriage as a vow before Him and a lifelong commitment between a man and woman. Marriage, when done in a biblical fashion and by a couple in the will of God, becomes a celebration of God’s wondrous plan.
I want to give you 20 wonderful principles concerning marriage which I pray will be a help and blessing to you:
1. A biblical marriage takes biblical people.
2. Marriage is not “50/50” but rather “100/100.”
3. Most problems in marriage come from trying to tackle problems without God’s help.
4. Christ is to be the head and foundation of the home.
5. The marriage will fail or succeed based on the couple’s walk with the Lord.
6. A couple must show respect to each other both in private and public.
7. Spending time together must be one of the highlights of your day.
8. Couples must show appreciation to one another.
9. Good, honest communication is vital to keeping the marriage strong.
10. The marriage relationship must reflect the love of Christ for His church.
11. A great help in your marriage is to “die to self.”
12. Keep a sense of humor. You may even have to laugh at yourself.
13. Thank God for the blessings which come your way.
14. It’s amazing how just going to church regularly will strengthen your marriage.
15. Always be affectionate.
16. When a couple is obedient to the Lord in tithing, God meets their needs.
17. Step out with faith in God together.
18. Make your home a place where “seldom is heard a discouraging word.”
19. Always be polite and kind to one another.
20. Pray for your spouse everyday.