Jesus is the Friend that sticketh closer than a brother! He is the epitome of friendship. He was Judas’ friend to the end (Matthew 26:50); even while being betrayed He called Judas “friend.” He called Lazarus “our friend” (John 11:11). He did not smother Lazarus, but allowed others to also be his friend.
A friend is someone whose heart bell tolls when a friend is in need. Someone once said, “I went out to find a friend and could not find one there. I went out to be a friend, and friends were everywhere.” While most are interested in having a friend, Jesus is interested in being a friend.
Read Proverbs 27, the friend chapter, and notice the character traits of a friend. Jesus had them all.
- A friend praises or brags on his friends (v. 2).
- A friend is not jealous if his friend has other friends (v. 4).
- A friend is willing to correct his friend and a friend’s love is not secret, but it gets expressed (v. 5).
- A friend sometimes wounds by being frank (v. 6).
- A friend gives wise counsel (v. 9).
- A friend does not let you down (v. 10).
- A friend transforms people into better people (v. 17).
What a friend we have in Jesus!