The one question that I have been asked more than any other question is, “How can I lead my loved ones to Christ?”
My dad was a Roman Catholic. When I accepted Christ at age seventeen, I began witnessing to him regularly. At first, my dad would have nothing to do with Christianity, but over time, his heart softened. After fifteen years of faithful witnessing, my dad finally accepted Christ as his personal Saviour on his deathbed. It was Father’s Day, June 16, 1991. What joy filled my heart when Dad finally opened his heart to accept Christ. God was merciful to my dad because within minutes of accepting Christ, he went into a coma and never awoke.
Here are ten practical principles that I hope will help you to see some of your loved ones come to Christ.
1. Pray for your lost loved ones. (Luke 5:5-10)
2. Witness to your family members. (John 1:41)
3. Live consistently before your family members. (Matthew 5:16)
4. Don’t get discouraged. God desires to grow you through the process of seeing your loved ones saved. (James 1:2-5)
5. Talk to family members separately. (Matthew 10:16)
6. Allow your family members to ponder the spiritual truths that you share with them.
7. Love them. (1 John 4:7)
8. Don’t preach to them but lovingly share your heart with them. (Acts 4:19-20)
9. Don’t witness to them every time you see them. Allow the Holy Spirit to bring conviction. (John 16:8)
10. Claim one of God’s promises.
Psalms 126:5-6, “They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.” I claimed these verses for my dad’s salvation. Even though I would pray and weep for my dad to be saved, sometimes my heart was doubtful. It was during those skeptical moments that my heart would go back to this soulwinner’s promise and I would be encouraged. God is able to soften anyone’s heart! Believe Him, trust Him, and claim His promises!