Sermon outline: This is an abbreviated outline with the complete sermon downloadable at the bottom of the post.
Text: Colossians 4:14–18
Title: Using your Talents for God’s Glory
Introduction: In Colossians chapters one and two, Paul exalts Jesus Christ to His rightful place as the preeminent One in the universe. He explains that Jesus Christ is God in human flesh. Jesus is the Creator of the world, and therefore is sufficient in meeting every spiritual and physical need we have.
God wants your life to count for Him. God wants to use you in the service of Jesus Christ. You do not have to be a pastor with a Bible college or seminary degree to be used by God. God desires to use everyone here, wherever you are in life. I can prove it to you. My proof comes from Hebrews 11, the Hebrews Hall of Faith. We find men and women who were used by God who were not all full-time preachers, in fact most were not.
- 11:3 “By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain.” Abel the shepherd.
- 11:6 “By faith Noah” a carpenter and ark builder.
- 11:8 “By faith Abraham” a business man.
- 11:11 “Through faith also Sarah” a homemaker.
- 11:23 “By faith Moses” a politician, a political leader.
- 11:30 “Joshua” a general.
- 11:31 “By faith the harlot Rahab” a former harlot.
- 11:32 Gideon, Barack, Samson, and Jepthah were judges.
- 11:32 David, a king, and Samuel, a prophet.
Let’s meet some more of the faithful servants of God.
I. Available for God–vs. 14a
II. Used by God
III. Abandoning God—vs. 14b
IV. Using My Talents for God’s Glory–vs. 17
A. To Glorify Himself
B. To Build Up the Body of Christ—The Local Church
C. To Develop Unity in the Body of Christ
D. To Develop Maturity in the Body of Christ
E. To Grow the Body of Christ
Conclusion: Salvation will come to your heart when you put your faith in Jesus Christ alone for the forgiveness of your sins.
Spiritual Growth will never occur unless you use your gifts.
Make your life count for Christ and eternity.